Collection number: MC 306
Size: (2 ) (0.5 cu.ft.)
About Chip Hendrickson (1932-2005)
Chip Hendrickson (1932-2005) was a dance caller and dance historian in the genres of Western square dance, New England square dance, contra dance, and 18th century historical dance. In addition to calling and teaching, he recorded 27 records for the Top Caller and Grenn labels and wrote for the magazine American Squares. Chip began dancing in the Western tradition on Long Island in 1951. Soon he was calling contras and more traditional squares and English Country Dances. During the Bicentennial celebrations of 1976, Chip became interested in 18th century dance repertoire, publishing and recording extensively on the subject.
About the Chip Hendrickson Collection (1953-1970)
This collection consists of dance notes from ca. 55 venues where Hendrickson taught and called over a 17 year period. A small biography and some posters and awards are also included. The venues include the following:
- Ansonia Square Dance Club
- Baldwin Country Dancers; Buttons and Bows; Baypath
- Capitol City; Cook's Star Dusters; Circle B; Calico Cowboys
- Double K
- Fulton's Squares; Friendlee Squares; Flying Squares
- Glouchester Skippers; Glastonbury Squares; Gay Squares; Goddard's Squares
- Hampden Square Dance Club; Kramer's Hayloft/Haylofters; High View; Homenoscitt
- Hartford CT Club
- Intertown Squares
- KC Squares
- Lone Stars; Left Footers; Ludlow Squares; Levitton Squares, Lindner Place
- Mox Nix; Milford Square Dance Club; Manchester Squares; Middle Berry; Madiera's; Malverne Bowing Alleys
- Pomingo Squares; Park Promenadors; Purchase NY; Platt's Pent House
- Rockin' Roosters; Ridgefield Class; Ridge Runner's Class
- See Saw; Salem Lancers; Square 'N' Round Up; Salamander Fire Hall; Silverstein's Cellar; Straford CT; Swinging Stars
- Tri-Squares; Trail Blazers; Trumbull Twirl; Tarry Squares; Tenakill Squares
- Unknown venues - unlabeled
- Valley Squares
- Whirlaways; Wechtel's Squares
This collection is open.
Contents of this collection are governed by U.S. copyright law. For questions about publication or reproduction rights, contact Special Collections staff.
[Identification of item], [Folder Number], [Box Number], Chip Hendrickson Papers, 1953-1970, MC 306, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Gift of the estate of the creator, 2015
MC 270 Square Dance Foundation of New England Collection, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire
Arrangement is mostly alphbetical; some groupings of cards may have more than one hall represented
|Dance Notes A-S
Dance notes arranged by first letter, A-S. Also brief biographical information, posters, and certificates.
|Dance Notes S-W
Dance notes arranged by first letter, S-W. There are no venues in the X-Z range.