As part of a land-grant institution, this library has been a designated depository for US federal government publications since 1907. Public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code)
The Government Information collection is comprised primarily of US and New Hampshire government publications. It also includes maps and geospatial data and other forms of data. In addition to the library’s physical collections, access to extensive online government information is also available.
Finding Government Information
Useful starting points to find government information, whether online or in print, include the following:
- The UNH library catalog
- Library search box (Articles, books, media & more search box on the library home page)
- WorldCat catalog, which includes publications at other libraries
- Catalog of US Government Publications, a more comprehensive US document-only database
- Databases: Government Information-US Federal – subscription and open access
- Databases: Government Information-International & Foreign – subscription and open access
- FDLP Basic Collection
- Resources by subject
To find US documents published before 1976, ask for assistance as the listed catalogs don’t provide full coverage of UNH holdings for this period.
Many recent New Hampshire government publications are found in the New Hampshire State Government Digital Document Depository.
- For assistance, Ask a Librarian
- All members of the public may use these materials. Anyone with a UNH library card can borrow from the circulating collection
- Computer access for the public to government information is available through the public-access workstations on Dimond Level 3 (Main Floor). There is also one workstation on Level 3, which may run some of the older US government CD-ROMs in the collection.
Circulating Collection Locations
- Level 1 of Dimond Library - Designated "Docs - Level 1" in library catalog
- Documents Videos & DVDs: Multimedia Center
- Documents Maps: Map Room, Dimond Level 3 (Main Floor) – many items can circulate
- Documents CD-ROMS: Between Geospatial Services Center and IT Help Desk, Dimond Level 3 (Main Floor)
Noncirculating Collection Locations
- Level 1 of Dimond Library - Designated "Docs Ref - Level 1" in library catalog
- Level 3 (Main Floor) of Dimond Library - Designated as "Docs Ref - Level 3" in library catalog
- Documents Microforms: Room 210 (Dimond Level 2)
- NH State Documents: Special Collections and Archives, Dimond Level 1
- Selected older material/sets are in Storage and may be requested through the Government Information Librarian; most do not circulate
Patents & Trademarks
The UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law Library is a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC). Most patent information is available on the open web.