Library materials have different circulation times depending on location and type.
- The borrowing period for most non-reserve books is 4 weeks.
- UNH graduate students and faculty borrow most books on extended time; books are due April of each year.
- Unless recalled, most books have a 10-day grace period from the due date.
- Reference books will show a status of NON CIRC in the catalog. These are for use in the library only, and cannot be checked out.
- You can renew most books for another 4 weeks starting 14 days before they are due and 10 days after they are due.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) books are allowed one renewal unless marked as No Renewals.
- Books checked out on extended time (see below) are renewed annually.
- Unless recalled, all books have a 10-day grace period from their due date.
If you have trouble renewing your items online, please call the Information Desk in Dimond Library at (603) 862-3125 or contact us.
There are book drops for all library locations.
- Dimond Library: located inside the foyer entrance and available 24/7
- Chemistry Library: located in the Parsons/Iddles foyer, just outside the Chemistry Library entrance, and is available while Parsons/Iddles is open
- Engineering, Math, and Computer Science Library: located in Kingsbury Hall, outside the door to the Engineering/Math/CS Library (room S236), and is available 24/7
- Physics Library: located in foyer at the south entrance of Demeritt Hall and available 24/7
Books may also be returned to any of these library service desks during their hours of operation.
There is also a drive-through book drop by the Thompson Hall information booth that is available 24/7 unless we expect heavy snowfall or the library is closed for a period of days.
Faculty and graduate students at UNH and UNH-Manchester are eligible to borrow most items on Extended Time (XT). The XT date is usually at the end of the spring semester. All items are always subject to recall, so please check your mail regularly.
Books checked out on Extended Time can be renewed without returning them. Each year, we will send you a reminder email before they are due. If they are not renewed within 8 weeks of the due date, they will be declared Lost, and these inactive records are not renewable online.
All borrowers are required to present a valid UNH ID, UNH library card, or government issued photo ID to borrow library materials.