About Special Collections & Archives

Milne Special Collections and Archives supports the teaching and research mission of the University of New Hampshire through acquiring, preserving, and providing access to permanently valuable research materials, particularly those related to the Granite State and the University.

University Archives

The University Archives is the repository for records that document important programs and decisions by University offices.

We collect, organize, describe, preserve, and provide access to University records of permanent administrative, legal, fiscal, and historical value. We also provide environmentally stable and secure facilities for these records.

The University Archives:

  • Serves as a research center for University history
  • Provides information services to assist University administration and operation
  • Promotes knowledge and understanding of the origins, programs, and goals of the University

The University of New Hampshire Archives was established on October 1, 1992. It was made possible by grant funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

University Museum

The museum features exhibits highlighting different aspects of UNH history as well as its current activities. Exhibits include a variety of artifacts, photographs, documents, and memorabilia drawn from the museum, the university archive collections, and from the Special Collections.

Our Collection

We have a growing collection of UNH memorabilia and historic artifacts. We consider donations and have accepted over 1,000 items from approximately 100 donors. Donations are most often from alumni and their families and include a range of items from freshman beanies and scrapbooks to costumes and fraternity dance favors.

We are always looking for donations of memorabilia, in particular, items from the 1940s to the present. Please contact us, if you have something you would like to donate.

History of the Museum

The first museum dedicated to collecting the history of the University of New Hampshire was set up in five rooms in the Field House in 1966 by curator Phil Wilcox. In 1977 it was closed due to lack of financial support and the collection was put into storage.

In 1988 the alumni classes of 1932, 1937, and 1958 contributed funds to move the museum into Thompson Hall and to create a small operating endowment.

Though the Thompson Hall location breathed life back into the museum, the limited access and lack of climate control make it necessary to find a new home. The newly renovated Dimond Library, with climate control and improved access, has proven to be a wise move.