Send University Records

Permanent Records

All UNH colleges, departments, and offices generate or hold permanent records that may at some point be eligible for transfer to the University Archives.

The office that creates a record normally keeps a copy in its files. This is known as the "record copy." The record copy should be retained and transferred to the Archives when it is no longer current if it has permanent historical value. Records with historical value can be as old as the original university charter or may have been created this morning.

Non-permanent Records

Individual units that are not responsible for the creation of such records, but maintain duplicate copies, should dispose of these files after they are no longer needed.

The University has no centralized records management office for the retention and disposition of non-permanent records. Inactive records which hold no permanent historical value, but must be retained for legal or administrative reference use, remain the responsibility of the creating office.

What to Send

Records that document the growth, development, and major activities of the University and its affiliated organizations are of primary interest. Only a small number of office records will have enduring administrative, legal, or historical value.

Departments and Offices | Faculty | Affiliated Organizations

Departments and Offices

We collect the official records of most colleges, department and offices of UNH. Eligible records are no longer active and have permanent administrative, legal value or historical value.

Records which should be transferred to the Archives include (but are not limited to):

  • Letters of incorporation, by-laws
  • Annual and biennial reports
  • Meeting minutes
  • Correspondence and subject files of the Dean, Director or Chair
  • Final copy of special reports or studies
  • Accreditation records and reports
  • Records of program or curriculum development
  • Policy statements and procedure manuals
  • Records of projects or programs sponsored by your department
  • Records about cooperative efforts with other institutions
  • Departmental publications, such as newsletters, brochures (please add us to your mailing list!)
  • Photographs (if identified)

Records with non-permanent value:

  • Routine administrative records
  • Ephemeral financial records (bank statements, invoices, receipts)
  • Employee accident reports, time sheets, leave requests, etc
  • Magazine articles, news clipping not about UNH

We recognize that each office has unique functions and requirements. Special Collections is happy to assist with decisions concerning the retention and disposition of records.

How to transfer records


We collect the professional papers of tenured members of the faculty, senior administrators, and other people whose primary institutional affiliation has been with UNH.

The University Archives collects:

  • Biographical information, including curriculum vitae
  • Correspondence with colleagues and students
  • Correspondence and other documents relating to professional or research organizations with which a professor has been involved
  • Teaching materials, including lecture notes, course syllabi, assignments, lab manuals for courses, etc.
  • One copy of published articles, technical reports
  • Final draft of unpublished works, including speeches and presentations

The University Archives generally does not collect:

  • Course packets, photocopies of published materials
  • Text books, unless written by UNH faculty
  • Grade books, advisers' files, marked papers or material that might be considered part of a student's academic record
  • Research notes and raw data
  • Drafts and galleys of published works
  • Personal reference libraries (published books and articles)

How to transfer records

Affiliated Organizations

Student, faculty, staff and alumni organizations and clubs

The University Archives collects:

  • Charter and by-laws
  • Minutes
  • Correspondence concerning program development, implementation, and other major decisions
  • Lists of officers and members
  • Annual reports
  • Budgets and financial reports
  • Publications by the organization, including newspapers, newsletters, posters, programs, brochures
  • Photographs (if identified), clippings, press releases, and scrapbooks documenting the activities of the organizations
  • Audio and video recording of performances or events

The University Archives generally does not collect:

  • Ephemeral financial records (bank statements, invoices, receipts)
  • Drafts and galleys of published works
  • Reference libraries

How to transfer records