Collection number: UA 9/3/4
Size: Oversize 1 boxes (0.33 cu.ft.)
About the Art Division
When the Hamilton Smith Library was expanded in 1938, the entire second floor was designated as the Art Division. It included music listening rooms, a reading room and an exhibition hall. Prof. George R. Thomas designed the art galleries for the library.
About the Art Division Scrapbook
George Thomas joined the UNH department of architecture in 1930. He taught architectural drawing, graphics and painting, as well as developed courses in drawing, painting and art history for non-architecture students. In 1941, he helped establish the department of the arts and he designed the remodeled Hewitt Hall to house the program.
This scrapbook was compiled by Thomas beginning with the announcement of the opening of the Art division of the Hamilton Smith Library in 1939. It contains exhibition announcements, programs and newspaper clippings covering the exhibits held in the library, Hewitt Hall and elsewhere on campus through 1955. There is also a folder of loose materials that never made it into the scrapbook. The last item is from 1967.
This collection is open.
Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.
[Identification of item], Art Division Scrapbook, 1939-1967, UA 9-3-4, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
Dontated to library by George R. Thomas