Collection number: UA 1/1
Size: 1 box (0.33 cu.ft.)
About the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts and the University of New Hampshire
In 1861, the United States federal government approved the Morrill Act which set aside land in each state for the founding of public higher education. In 1862, the New Hampshire state legislature accepted the grant of 80,000 acres of public lands on which to set up a university. It wasn't until 1866, however, that the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was incorporated by the state legislature
First situated in Hanover in connection with Dartmouth College, the New Hampshire College moved to its present campus in Durham in 1893 after Benjamin Thompson, a prosperous farmer, bequeathed land and money to further the development of the College. The College thrived in Durham, and in 1923 the state legislature granted it a new charter as the University of New Hampshire.
The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was established in Hanover in order to share the resources of Dartmouth College. Each institution, however, was to retain their separate identities. The act of establishment provided for a board of nine trustees, five to be appointed by the governor and council and four by the trustees of Dartmouth. They were also to appoint a secretary, a treasurer, and faculty for the college. When the College was removed to Durham, the manner of election and composition of the board of trustees were changed to fit the new situation.
About the Incorporation, By-laws and Charter
This series is made up of the Charter of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts and the By-laws of the Trustees. There are also notes on the preparation of the By-laws and the incorporation of the University.
This collection is open.
Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.
[Identification of item], [Folder], [Box], Incorporation, By-laws and Charter, 1862-1996, UA 1/1, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.
These records were transferred to the University Library for storage prior to the establishment of the University Archives in 1992.
|Box 1, Folder 1||1862-1893||By-laws of the Trustees of the NHC. Also general acts of U.S. and N.H.|
|Box 1, Folder 2||1862-1871||Establishment of New Hampshire College of Agriculture by N.H. Legislature|
|Box 1, Folder 3||June 4, 1867||Incorporation of New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts|
|Box 1, Folder 4||Undated||By-laws|
|Box 1, Folder 5||1893||Preparation of By-laws of the New Hampshire|
|Box 1, Folder 6||ca. 1930||Suggested By-laws and Statutes of the University as originally drawn by Norman Alexander and amended by E. Y. Blewett|
|Box 1, Folder 7||1862-1871||Establishment of New Hampshire College of Agriculture by N.H. Legislature|
|Box 1, Folder 8||Revised July 1971||University Policy Manual: Charter and By-laws|
|Box 1, Folder 9||revised June 20, 1973||UNH By-Laws|
|Box 1, Folder 10||Oct. 19, 1973||Charter of the University|
|Box 1, Folder 11||revised February 1973||USNH, By-Laws|
|Box 1, Folder 12||April 8, 1996||By-laws of the Board of Trustees, UNH|