NH College of Agriculture & the Mechanic Arts

  • University Archives
    Rev. James Hill Fitts was born in Candia, NH on March 3, 1825. He died Nov. 22, 1900 Catalog of Native America (sic Indian) relics donated to NHC in 1896.
  • University Archives
    The Campus Planning Office is responsible for the allocation of and planning for the University's physical plant. This series contains the records from the office of Campus Planning and Real Property Management at the University of New…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was established in 1866. In 1911, a major reorganization of the entire institution took place. Three divisions were established: the Agricultural Division, the Engineering Division and the…
  • University Archives
    In 1861, the United States federal government approved the Morrill Act which set aside land in each state for the founding of public higher education. In 1862, the New Hampshire state legislature accepted the grant of 80,000 acres of public lands on…
  • University Archives
    The Animal Husbandry Department was part of the Agricultural Division of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. The college became the University of New Hampshire in 1923. In 1958 the Animal Husbandry Department was renamed the Department of Animal Sciences and in 1969 it…
  • University Archives
    One of the first things the college administrators needed to address when the college moved to Durham in 1893 was to secure an adequate supply of water for the college. A dam was built on Pettee Brook creating a reservoir that was used for boilers,…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the history of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts written by Ralph H. Rollins of the Class of 1903. The essay also includes information about the history of the Land-Grant colleges in the United States.
  • University Archives
    Arthur G. Davis (Class of 1912) was asked to give presentation on the history of UNH to the Northam Colonists (now the Dover Historical Society, Dover, NH) in Sept. 1970. This folder contains two copies of the story; one in long-hand and a typed copy…
  • University Archives
    The first meeting of the Alumni Association of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was held on March 23, 1880. This series contains the minute books of the Alumni Association of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and…
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook was created by Philip Sawyer, Class of 1923. He was a two year Agricultural student from Madbury, N.H.. While at UNH he was a member of the Alpha Tau Alpha fraternity; the Poultry Committee; the Agricultural Club; the Rifle Team; and the Interfraternity Society called the Casque and…
  • University Archives
    Benjamin G. Odiorne from Rye, NH, graduated from the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1915 with a degree in Arts and Sciences. This collection contains two notebooks that belonged to Benjamin Odiorne during his sophomore and junior years at the New Hampshire College of…
  • University Archives
    This series contains videotapes concerning alumni activities.
  • University Archives
    The University System of New Hampshire is directed by a 27-member Board of Trustees. The Chancellor is the chief executive officer of the University System. This series contains the minutes for the meetings of the Board of Trustees for the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanical…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was formed in August of 1887 as a department of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in Hanover, NH. The Station began with two departments--Dairy, and Field and Feeding. The…
  • University Archives
    The Faculty Tennis Club began in 1894 at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. The Club was for the male members of the teaching staff at the College. This collection holds the records of the Club.
  • University Archives
    This series consists of a pamplet which contains the report of the committee appointed by the Governor and Council in 1863 to study the subject of an agricultural college. It also contains the bill passed by the New Hampshire Legislature, in 1864, establishing the college and the proposition of Gen…
  • University Archives
    Richard Whoriskey graduated from Harvard in 1897 and secured a position as language professor at the New Hampshire College of Agricuture and the Mechanic Arts in 1899. He served the College in this capacity until his death in 1922. He was active in…
  • University Archives
    Wilfred Osgood, Class of 1914, was an active alumni and member of the UNH community. This series contains the files of Wilfred A. Osgood, concerning his position as Alumni Treasurer for Lambda Chi Alpha and chairman of the 40th reunion of the class of 1914.
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook was created by Arthur Grant Davis from Peterborough, NH, Class of 1912. He received a B.S. in Agriculture and was very active in campus activities. He was a member of Gamma Theta, Alpha Zeta and the Rifle Team. He served as the Secretary-Treasurer of the Agricultural Club and was the…
  • University Archives
    The Agricultural Club maintained a club room in Morrill Hall. This series contains the program for the first annual Agricultural Banquet held on May 4, 1916. The banquet was given under the auspices of the New Hampshire College Agricultural Club. The program includes photos of Agricultural Dept.…
  • University Archives
    Harvey L. Boutwell graduated from the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1882. He was elected to the Board of Trustees as an Alumni Trustee in 1911. He became President of the Board of Trustees in 1914 and served in that position until his death on February 4, 1929. This…
  • University Archives
    The Office of Woodlands and Natural Areas manages more than 4,000 acres of forested property throught New Hampshire. This series contains maps and tables of land use pattern, cover types, plantations established, and projects to be undertaken during the 1930's - 1940's at the University of New…
  • University Archives
    This series contains annual calendars printed for the University of New Hampshire. Each month is illustrated with photographs of university buildings, persons of interest or student organizations and activities.
  • University Archives
    This series consists of one pamphlet containing the address given by Congressman Justin S. Morrill in the Vermont State House of Representatives. Senator Morrill discusss his role in the creation of the Land-Grant Colleges and their success.
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was founded in 1866 in Hanover, NH and affiliated with Dartmouth College. The school moved to Durham, NH in 1893 and became the University of New Hampshire in 1923. This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings about the New Hampshire…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was founded in Hanover, NH in 1866. The College moved to Durham, NH in 1893 and became the University of New Hampshire in 1923. This manuscript, written by the Alumni Association Committee…
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook was created by Lawrence Melbern True from Hampton, NH, Class of 1923. His activities included Phi Mu Delta and the Students Army Training Corps. In 1927 he married Marion Dunlap Williams who was also a member of the Class of 1923. They moved to Cleveland, OH where he worked as a…
  • University Archives
    Irene M. Hall, from Rochester, NH, graduated from UNH with the class of 1922. This collection contains the diary of Irene M. Hall for the dates of January 1, 1917 through December 31, 1917. It covers the second semester of her sophomore year and the fall semester of her junior year. She talks…
  • University Archives
    New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was founded in 1866 in Hanover, NH. The school moved to Durham, NH in 1893 and became the University of New Hampshire in 1923. The Board of Trustees resolved in 1891 that written reports to the Board and other documents deemed of value…
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings concerning the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. Many articles are also about agricultural issues in general.
  • University Archives
    This series contains programs from the various cultural events held on campus. The bulk of the collection is scrapbook material and programs for the events organized by the Cultural Events Committee. The Celebrity Series was the focus of the Committee…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the commencement address of the Hon. Edwin Willets to the graduates of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1894.
  • University Archives
    Leon W. Batchelder was the son of Lyman Batchelder who was in charge of construction at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts from 1915-1919. During World War I, the college housed and trained men in the…
  • University Archives
    The Christian Fraternity was formed in 1881 at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in Hanover, NH. in 1893, when the College moved to Durham, the Fraternity dissolved and formed the New Hampshire College Young Men's Christian Association. This series contains three ledger…
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook was created by Marion Dunlap Williams True, Class of 1923, from Portsmouth, NH. She graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1923 with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. She was a member of Alpha Xi Delta, the Mathematics Club,…
  • University Archives
    The Alpha Zeta fraternity, composed exclusively of agricultural students, was founded in 1897 at Ohio State University. The Granite Chapter of the fraternity was founded at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1903. The history of the fraternity was introduced and…
  • University Archives
    The original Board of Trustees of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts consisted of five members chosen by the State of New Hampshire and four members chosen by the Board of Trustees of Dartmouth College. While sharing location and Trustee members, New Hampshire College…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the account book of the College Farm for the years 1882-1885. Included are entries for amounts paid for laborers and supplies.
  • University Archives
    Oren "Dad" Vittelius Henderson worked for the University of New Hampshire from 1915 to 1939. He started as the Business Secretary for the college and was also the Purchasing Agent for the Experiment Station. In 1920 he was promoted to Executive…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was established in 1866 in Hanover, NH and affiliated with Dartmouth College. Problems arose in the relationship between the two schools and it became necessary to explore alternatives for…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was established as a department of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1887. George H. Whitcher, professor or Agriculture in the college, became the first Director of the Station. The College was located in Hanover, NH from…
  • University Archives
    The Beta Phi local fraternity was established at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1906. This local fraternity was installed as the Alpha-Xi Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha national fraternity in 1918. This series…
  • University Archives
    Gov. Frederick Smyth was a Trustee and the Treasurer for the Board of Trustees of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts from 1866 to 1897. Smyth started and funded a competition known as the Smyth Prize for writing, reading…
  • University Archives
    The Conant Agricultural Society was founded on September 22, 1898 by university agricultural students to study and discuss agricultural problems. The group was very active during this time, with no less than 14 papers being read at a 1902 meeting. It was named after John Conant, a major benefactor…
  • University Archives
    The University of New Hampshire Administration Committee consisted of the President and the senior faculty members. The Committee made decisions about most of the problems and concerns that arose on the campus. Among other functions, the committee…
  • University Archives
    President Edward Fairchild was president of the University of New Hampshire between 1912-1917. In this letter, Pres. Fairchild complements Harold Scudder on an article he wrote concerning beans.
  • University Archives
    The University Folk Club at the University of New Hampshire started as the Women's League in 1912. The purpose of the organization was to "promote better fellowship among the women connected with New Hampshire College". By 1919 the number of female…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was founded in 1866 in Hanover, NH. The college moved to Durham, NH in 1893. The college library was first located in Thompson Hall. In 1907 a new library was built and named for Hamilton…
  • University Archives
    This series consists of information at the Federal, State and Local level concerning the implementation of Air Raid and Dim-out Regulations in Durham and on campus.
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook was created by Arthur Eastman Twaddle while he was a student at New Hampshire College. He graduated with a B.A. in Engineering in 1921. Eastman married Ruth Carolyn McQuesten, also a graduate of New Hampshire College. She graduated in 1920 with a B.S. in Arts. Both Twaddle and…