Guide to the Report of the committee appointed by the Governor and Council upon the subject of an agricultural college, with the proposition of Hon. David Culver, in reference thereto and a bill to establish the New Hampshire Agricultural College, 1864

Collection number: UA 22/13
Size: (1 item) (.10 cu.ft.)

About the Report of the committee appointed by the Governor and Council upon the subject of an agricultural college.

The Morrill Act, passed by the United States Congress in 1862, provided for land to be set aside in each state for the purpose of an agricultural college. The Governor of New Hampshire appointed a committee in 1863 to study the desirability of beginning such a college in New Hampshire. The favorable report of that committee led the State Legislature, in 1864, to approve the establishment of an agricultural college. Gen. David Culver, a member of the aforesaid committee, proposed to give to the state his 400 acre farm in Lyme, NH as the site of the agricultural college. The college was located in Hanover in 1866 and then moved to Durham in 1893.

This series consists of a pamphlet which contains the report of the Committee appointed by the Governor and Council in 1863 to study the subject of an agricultural college. It also contains the bill passed by the New Hampshire Legislature, in 1864, establishing the college. The proposition of Gen. David Culver, made in 1864, to give his land to the state for the purpose of the agricultural college is also included.

Transcription of Report.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open.

Copyright Notice

Copyright is retained by the University of New Hampshire.

Preferred Citation

Report of the committee appointed by the Governor and Council upon the subject of an agricultural college, with the proposition of Hon. David Culver, in reference thereto and a bill to establish the New Hampshire Agricultural College, 1864, UA 22/13, Milne Special Collections and Archives, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, NH, USA.

Acquisitions Information

These records were transferred to the University Library for storage prior to the establishment of the University Archives in 1992.