Buildings & Campus Planning

  • The Campus Development office manages the use of all the property and buildings on the University of New Hampshire campus. They are responsible for the construction of new buildings, the buying and selling of land and the allocation of space for all…
  • University Archives
    "The Mission of Finance and Administration is to provide expert support to the President and to develop, implement, and continuously improve upon the best practices and highest quaility services for students, faculty, and staff that enable and enhance…
  • University Archives
    Guest book for the New Hampshire's official state war memorial, located on the third floor of the Memorial Union Building at UNH.
  • University Archives
    The Campus Planning Office is responsible for the allocation of and planning for the University's physical plant. This series contains the records from the office of Campus Planning and Real Property Management at the University of New…
  • University Archives
    The University of New Hampshire was founded in 1866 in Hanover, N.H. as the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts; it moved to Durham N.H. in 1893 and became a university in 1923. This collection is made up of small donations of all…
  • University Archives
    Ann Weaver Hart was appointed eighteenth president of the University of New Hampshire on July 1, 2002. This collection contains the presidential papers of Ann Weaver Hart
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was established in 1866. In 1911, a major reorganization of the entire institution took place. Three divisions were established: the Agricultural Division, the Engineering Division and the…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the meeting agendas, attachments, and minutes of the Board of Trustees' Property and Physical Plant Development Committee.
  • University Archives
    Robert Flint Chandler was appointed Dean of the College of Agriculture at UNH in 1947. He served as president of UNH from 1950-1954. During Chandler's administration, the drive for the Memorial Union Building was completed. In 1951, Sawyer and…
  • University Archives
    The post of Executive Secretary, and later that of the Assistant to the President, was organized to assist the President of the University of New Hampshire in his duties. This collection contains the files of the Executive Secretary from 1926 to 1937, and those of the Assistant to the President…
  • University Archives
    This volume contains the documents used in the process of contracting out the work for the renovation of Demeritt Hall. Demeritt Hall on the University of New Hampshire campus was originally built in 1914. It was renovated in 1950 with Eric T. Huddleston as Architect.
  • University Archives
    Smith Hall is the oldest residence hall on the University of New Hampshire campus. Built in 1908 with money from the bequest of Mrs. Hamilton Smith, it fulfilled the long-felt need for a dormatory for women. All women students who did not live at home…
  • University Archives
    The University of New Hampshire, incorporated in 1866 by the state legislature as the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts, was one of the early land-grant institutions of public higher education established under the Morrill Act. First situated in Hanover in connection with…
  • University Archives
    This collection contains files which were maintained by the Office of the President. They cover a wide range of topics which were addressed by the Office of the President, 1941-1980. Numerous files span more than one academic year and more than one…
  • University Archives
    A native of Exeter, NH, Gregg Sanborn graduated from UNH in 1966 with a B.A. degree in zoology. He returned to UNH in 1971 to work part-time in the student affairs office and then at Health Services, earning a master's degree in counseling in 1977. In…
  • University Archives
    Jeremiah W. Sanborn started at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1876 as farm superintendent. He continued in that position until 1883 when he left for a job in Missouri. This series contains the report of Jeremiah W. Sanborn to the Secretary of the Board of…
  • University Archives
    East Hall was a UNH dormitory built prior to 1926. This series contains the visitors register for East Hall, a dormitory at the University of New Hampshire, for the years 1953-1969. Visitors registered when they came for events such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Homecoming and various dances.
  • University Archives
    The Space Allocation Repairs and Renovations Committee (SARRC) is the University governance body charged with assigning space, on both a temporary and/or permanent basis. This series contains the correspondence and minutes for the Space Allocation, Repairs and Renovations Committee.
  • University Archives
    Evelyn E. Handler assumed the duties of President of the University of New Hampshire on August 1, 1980. She was inaugurated on October 20, 1980. She was the University's 14th president and the first woman to hold the position. Prior to becoming…
  • University Archives
    This series consists of annual reports which were given to the president by all departments and offices on campus, 1925-1959 and 1970-1973.
  • University Archives
    This booklet contains control station data and maps of station locations on campus collected by Ned Spaulding, construction and civil engineer.
  • University Archives
    Edward Howard Stolworthy was a member of the UNH faculty for 46 years as a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He taught Thermodynamics and Internal Combustion Engines as well as contributing to textbooks. His knowledge of the subject would have contributed to the construction of the university…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was incorporated in 1866 by the state legislature as was one of the early land-grant institutions of public higher education established under the Morrill Act. Orignally located in Hanover, NH, it was removed to Durham in 1893 and…
  • University Archives
    Gordon A. Haaland joined the UNH faculty as instructor of psychology in 1965 and later served as chair of the psychology department. He was serving as vice president for academic affairs before he became interim president and then president of the University in 1984. Gordon Haaland resigned to…
  • University Archives
    Ralph Dorn Hetzel was president of the University of New Hampshire when the Board of Trustees called for new appropriations from the State Legislature. This series contains the statement prepared by the President's Office concerning the space problems…
  • University Archives
    Richard A. Morse graduated from UNH in 1951 where he majored in government. In 1971, he was elected to the Board of Trustees and served until 1985. He served as chairman of the Board from 1977-1985. When Richard Morse retired from the Board of…
  • University Archives
    This series contains postcards pertaining to the University of New Hampshire. The majority are campus buildings, but there are also some group photos. Most were never mailed.
  • University Archives
    This series contains files from the Dean's Office of the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture.
  • University Archives
    On August 1, 1990, Dale Nitzschke (pronounced Nit-ski) became president of the University of New Hampshire. A native of Iowa, Nitzschke earned his bachelor's degree with honors from Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa, and his M.Ed. and Ph.D. degress in guidance and counseling from Ohio University. From…
  • University Archives
    The Merrimack Valley Branch of the University of New Hampshire was established in Manchester in September 1967. The branch started as an extension center. There were thirty-one credit courses, taught almost entirely by regular faculty members from the…
  • University Archives
    Eugene H. Leaver graduated from UNH in 1944 with a degree in Architecture. He worked as the Assistant Director of Development and Planning at the Colorado School of Mines before returning to UNH in 1949 as the Assistant to the Superintendent of…
  • University Archives
    This series is composed of one box of folders containing notes on the Browne Center, the Rec Center, the New England Center, and the MUB. Included are also 7 high -8 video tapes of these buildings. These tapes were used in developing a video presentation.
  • University Archives
    H. C. Grinnell was chairman of the Agricultural College Building Committee and T. B. Charles was Chairman of the Committee on Institutional Building. This series contains the report of the agricultural college building committee to the Committee on Institutional Building. The report is organized by…
  • University Archives
    This series contains files maintained by the Office of the President. After Dale Nitzschke resigned, two people served as interim president: Thomas Fairchild (1994-95) and Walter Peterson (1995-96)
  • University Archives
    The Merrimack Valley Branch of the University of New Hampshire was established in Manchester in September 1967. This collection contains a Facilities history and plan, Reports on Energy Studies, and a report on the buildings of Merrimack Valley Branch…
  • University Archives
    Professor Clarence W. Scott worked for the University for 54 years. He served as first librarian of the college, instuctor and professor of English, 1878-1886, and professor of history and political science, 1879-1930. A short time before his death, Dr. Scott had undertaken the writing of a history…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the photographs which correspond to the records of the Sports Information Office of the University of New Hampshire.
  • University Archives
    Philip A. Wilcox was the manager of the UNH Poultry Farm from 1931 to 1966. Upon his retirement from UNH, he was appointed curator of the Office of Historical Records and Museum Pieces. His tenacious effort was instrumental in unearthing many of the…
  • University Archives
    Joan R. Leitzel earned her bachelor's degree from Hanover College in 1958, her master's degree from Brown University in 1961, and her doctorate from Indiana University in 1965, all in mathematics. Dr. Leitzel was appointed seventeenth president of the…
  • University Archives
    The Merrimack Valley College began as a branch of the University of New Hampshire in 1967, providing continuing education programming to the residents of the Merrimack Valley area, the largest population center of the state. In 1977, the state…
  • University Archives
    Everett B. Sackett served the University of New Hampshire from 1938 to 1969 as a professor, Registrar, Dean of Student Administration and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts. In addition he served on many committees including the Student Health…
  • University Archives
    This series contains films created by the UNH Office of Public Information. Many of them were shot by Clement Moran using 16mm film. They have been converted onto VHS. They cover a variety of campus events from the 1930's and 1940's. There are…
  • University Archives
    One of the first things the college administrators needed to address when the college moved to Durham in 1893 was to secure an adequate supply of water for the college. A dam was built on Pettee Brook creating a reservoir that was used for boilers,…
  • University Archives
    Ralph Dorn Hetzel graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1906. He taught English and public speaking at Oregon State College and became a full professor there in 1910. In 1912 he was asked to organize a political science department and in 1913 was made the director of the extension services…
  • University Archives
    In 1985, Gov. John Sununu signed into law a bill making the Merrimack Valley College the sixth college of the University of New Hampshire. The University of New Hampshire at Manchester (UNHM) provides access to UNH associate, bachelor and graduate…
  • University Archives
    Oren V. Henderson served in various bureaucratic positions at the University of New Hampshire, on the Durham board of selectmen, and in the New Hampshire House of Representatives. This collection contains both his personal and professional papers.
  • University Archives
    Jackson Estuarine Laboratory, the University of New Hampshire's marine research and education laboratory, was dedicated on May 30, 1970. The laboratory is named in honor of Professor Emeritus C. Floyd Jackson, who established a summer program for marine biology and zoology students on the Isles of…
  • University Archives
    Evelyn Browne joined the UNH faculty as an Instructor in women's physical education, establishing the University's riding progam as well as coaching riflery and basketball. In 1973, her love of the outdoors led her to become one of the leaders of Save…
  • University Archives
    Edward Morgan Lewis served as president of the University of New Hampshire from September 1, 1927 to May 24, 1936. Lewis received both his undergraduate and graduate education from Williams College. He came to UNH from Massachusetts Agricultural…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts relocated from Hanover, NH to Durham, NH in 1893. Buildings were needed at the new site. A pamphlet was sent out to building contractors with the specifications for…