New Hampshire Towns

  • Special Collections
    Selina H. Bean (1828-1860) was the second child of Phinehas Bean (1784-1870) and Susannah S. Bean (1796-1872). She was born near Concord, N.H., and lived in Fisherville (now part of Penacook). Her siblings were Joshua S. Bean (1827-) and Sophronia E.…
  • Special Collections
    Sally Brown (1794-3 July 1840 Epsom) married farmer Alphonzo J. Burham (1800-1881) at the Epsom Congregational Church on April 24 1828. The names of their parents are unknown. In late November or early October 1839 she appears to have had a stroke or other medical event which caused her to collapse…
  • University Archives
    Thelma B. Thompson (b. 1948, MLS University of Iowa 1985) served as Government Information and Maps Librarian at the University of New Hampshire's Dimond Library beginning in 1999. One of her many contributions was extensive work with the historical topographical maps of New England and New York…
  • Special Collections
    Boscawen is a small town in Merrimack County, NH, incorporated in 1760. The population in 1870 was 1,637. A single ca. 2"x3" notebook details road taxes for Highway District No. 5, dated 1868. It was kept by J.H. Flanders, whose name appears on the…
  • Special Collections
    The Milne Special Collections and Archives is located at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH. The repository collects materials related the history and culture of New Hampshire and greater New England. The collection contains financial…
  • Special Collections
    Joseph A. Leach was a Keene, New Hampshire teacher. He was born in April of 1836 in Vermont and married Stella Eliza Ranney in 1866. Joseph A. Leach ran a school for the children of prominent people in Keene, New Hampshire. In these letters he tells General Henry Goddard Thomas about the progress…
  • Special Collections
    A Hopkinton, New Hampshire farmer originally from Sudbury, Massachusetts, Brown was a Quaker horticulturalist. He moved to Hopkinton before the Revolution and became a successful farmer who gave special attention to his fruit stock. He had extensive apple orchards as well as plum and peach trees.…
  • Special Collections
    First Unitarian Church of Manchester's first place of worship was a small wooden chapel built in 1841 on the corner of Hanover and Chestnut Streets by the Second Methodist Episcopal society. In 1843 the society purchased a chapel and moved it to the…
  • Special Collections
    New Hampshire town Bristol, New Hampshire post office directory listing names of residents presumably renting post office boxes.
  • Special Collections
    Merchants, Goffs Falls, N.H. David Webster owned and operated a store, a boarding house, and a shoemaker’s shop in Goffs Falls from before the building and completion of the Middlesex Canal. He was the brother of Captain Amos Webster. Franklin Webster…
  • Special Collections
    Native of Acworth N.H. born in 1815, son of Eliphalet Bailey, Universalist minister of Belfast, Me. Letter written on June 12, 1869 by Giles Bailey to C.R. Williams. Bailey states that his address presented for the centennial of Acworth was printed and made available in J.L. Merrill’s History of…
  • Special Collections
    Southern New Hampshire town located in Rockingham County. The population was 753 in 1870. 1869 tax report from district 7 in Windham, New Hampshire that specifically mentions tax dollars spent to pay for the services of a teacher.