A recall is a request to obtain library materials that are checked out to another patron.
Most checked out library materials are subject to recall. Please note that books lent out to the Boston Library Consortium, reserve materials, and many multimedia items cannot be recalled.
The fastest way to get material that is out to another patron is usually to request it through Interlibrary Loan.
If an item is checked out, its status in the library catalog will say "not available" or "loan until." The expected due date is shown in the record.
Items cannot be recalled directly through FirstSearch.
When an item checked out to you is recalled, we will send you an email with the new due date for the recalled item. The new due date is 14 days from the date of the email and there is no grace period. Please regularly check your email if you have library materials checked out.
If items are not returned by the new due date, your library privileges will be temporarily suspended and you will receive a $10 fine. Privileges will be restored when the recalled material is returned. This rule applies to all borrowers, and we greatly appreciate your cooperation with this important policy.
How to Place a Recall
- Find the item using the library search
- Sign in with your UNH account information
- Click Request to see recall information
- Choose a date on the Not needed after calendar, if appropriate
- Click Send Request to confirm your recall
In addition to recalls, the following items can be requested through the catalog:
- Storage Items—retrieved from our off-site facility and will generally be delivered within 24 hours, M-F only.
- Level G Closed Stacks—retrieved from closed stacks every two hours from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days per week.
- In Transit—not currently available for checkout for various reasons. Generally, if requested, they can be made available in 2-5 days.
- On Order until [date]—currently being purchased by the library and are not yet on the shelf, but it is still possible to place a hold on these items.
- Special Collection / Storage—will be held in Special Collections and must be used during Special Collections & Archives hours.
- Archives Theses/Storage—must be used in the Special Collections area.
- Items from the UNH Manchester collection
For recalls and requests, books are usually held for patrons for ten days and media items are held for seven days.
You may also Recommend a Purchase. Purchase recommendations are taken under consideration, but not guaranteed.
Contact the Information Desk in Dimond Library by phone (603) 862-3125 if you have any questions about recalls or requests.