Agricultural Experiment Station

  • University Archives
    "The Mission of Finance and Administration is to provide expert support to the President and to develop, implement, and continuously improve upon the best practices and highest quaility services for students, faculty, and staff that enable and enhance…
  • University Archives
    The UNH Cooperative Extension was founded in 1915. In 1938, as the Cooperative Extension Service approached 25 years since the signing of the Smith-Level Act, a Committe on Extension History was form and a member from each county was assigned the duty of writing a…
  • University Archives
    The CREAM program is a two semester, eight credit class offered by UNH in which 15-20 students work together to manage a dairy herd. CREAMers are responsible for the health, breeding, milk production, feeding and costs of running a working 26-cow dairy herd. This series contains the booklet…
  • University Archives
    Edward Morgan Lewis served as president of the University of New Hampshire from September 1, 1927 to May 24, 1936. Lewis received both his undergraduate and graduate education from Williams College. He came to UNH from Massachusetts Agricultural…
  • University Archives
    The Department of Plant Science was founded in 1964, being formerly the Department of Agronomny and Department of Horticulture. This series contains a collection of articles on plant growth regulators written by members of the UNH Plant Science Department. The book was used during the short course…
  • University Archives
    Roy Deneale Hunter was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the University of New Hampshire in 1916. He then became president of the Board in 1931 until his death in 1944. Hunter also acted as Chief Executive Officer of UNH twice, following the death of President Lewis in 1937 and President…
  • University Archives
    The Society of American Foresters was founded in 1900 by Gifford Pinchot and is the largest society for professional foresters in the world. This booklet contains the Program of Field Excursions taken during the summer meeting of the Society of American Foresters New England Section which was…
  • University Archives
    Dr. Fred Engelhardt was chosen as president of UNH on December 1, 1936, assuming office the following April. He served as president until his death on February 3, 1944. The Fred Engelhardt Papers include topics such as library alterations, the WPA, the National Defence, and the military department.
  • University Archives
    In 1963, the University System of New Hampshire (USNH) was created when the teacher's colleges at Plymouth and Keene were brought under the same Board of Trustees as the University. This collection contains various licenses. The series is divided into…
  • University Archives
    Clark Stevens was a faculty member at the University of New Hampshire from 1920 until his retirement in 1964. He served as chair of the Forestry Department from 1938-1958. This collection contains the history of Forestry at UNH by Clark L. Stevens. It starts in 1893 with the move of the New…
  • University Archives
    Following the resignation of President Harold W. Stoke in August of 1947, the Board of Trustees spent the fall semester choosing a successor. During this period the President of the Board of Trustees, Frank W. Randall, served as Interim Executive Officer. However, because Randall was active in…
  • University Archives
    The Animal Husbandry Department was part of the Agricultural Division of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. The college became the University of New Hampshire in 1923. In 1958 the Animal Husbandry Department was renamed the Department of Animal Sciences and in 1969 it…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the report of the instruction trip through northern New Hampshire taken by the senior forestry students. It includes their daily itenerary, a detailed account of what they saw and did, and photographs.
  • University Archives
    This series consists of annual reports which were given to the president by all departments and offices on campus, 1925-1959 and 1970-1973.
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was formed in August of 1887 as a department of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in Hanover, NH. The Station began with two departments--Dairy, and Field and Feeding. The…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the account book of the College Farm for the years 1882-1885. Included are entries for amounts paid for laborers and supplies.
  • University Archives
    John Conant of Jaffrey, NH made several offers to the State of New Hampshire with regards to an agricultural college. He first offered his farm and $30,000 for the location and establishment of the agricultural college. That offer was declined and the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the…
  • University Archives
    The Purnell Act was passed by Congress in 1925. It provided federal money to state Agricultural Experiment Stations for research on agriculture as well as the related economic and sociological factors. The University of New Hampshire took full…
  • University Archives
    President Edward Fairchild was president of the University of New Hampshire between 1912-1917. In this letter, Pres. Fairchild complements Harold Scudder on an article he wrote concerning beans.
  • University Archives
    This series contains the pamphlet Agricultural Education Historically Considered, by Charles W. Scott. Scott was a professor at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts and he covers the history of agricultural education in his essay.
  • University Archives
    The Hatch Act, passed by Congress in 1887, established agricultural experiment stations around the country. It provided $15,000 a year for research and experimentation. The Act was amended in 1955. These funds were used to conduct the New England Region Projects. This series contains the…
  • University Archives
    Frank W. Rane was a Professor of Horticulture at UNH between 1896-1905. This series contains four volumes of carbon copied letters written by Frank W. Rane, Professor of horiticulture (1896-1905) concerning the business of running the Dept. of Horticulture.
  • University Archives
    This series contains the address delivered by Charles H. Burns in favor of the Leach Bill. The Bill proposed that a two-year course in practical and theoretical agriculture, a department of horticulture, and a system of practical instruction and manual training be added to the curriculum at the New…
  • University Archives
    This series contains financial, annual and budget reports produced by the Agricultural Experiment Station at the University of New Hampshire. Box 1 is arranged alphabetically according to department and the remaining boxes are arranged chronologically.
  • University Archives
    During WWII, the US Department of Agriculture turned to the public for assistants to find mature milkweed pods to provide fiber for filling life jackets. Farmers were asked not to mow the roadsides and fields where the plants (long regarded by them as…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was established as a department of the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1887. George H. Whitcher, professor or Agriculture in the college, became the first Director of the Station. The College was located in Hanover, NH from…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the files for the research projects conducted by the New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station. Support for the research came from various funds: the Hatch Act, Bankhead-Jones Fund, Purnell Act and the Adams Fund. The series contains research reports, budget reports and…
  • University Archives
    Philip A. Wilcox was the manager of the UNH Poultry Farm from 1931 to 1966. Upon his retirement from UNH, he was appointed curator of the Office of Historical Records and Museum Pieces. His tenacious effort was instrumental in unearthing many of the…
  • University Archives
    The minutes of the Meetings of the Council of the New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station were recorded by Clarence M. Weed, Sec.
  • University Archives
    The Hatch Act, passed on March 2, 1887, authorized establishment of the land-grant college agricultural experiment stations. The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was formed in August of 1887 as a department of the New Hampshire College of…
  • University Archives
    This series contains the newsletter produced by the College of Agriculture. The newsletter reports on the work of the various departments and their faculty within the College of Agriculture.
  • University Archives
    The University of New Hamsphire Library records date back to the first catalog of books belonging to the New Hampshire state college. This collection chronicles the Library's growth through correspondence, records, minutes of meetings, acquisitions,…
  • University Archives
    Professor Stuart Dunn worked for the University of New Hampshire from 1926 to 1970. He taught courses in plant physiology in the Department of Botany and at the Agricultural Experiment Station. He wrote a text book and lab manual in 1949 entitled…
  • University Archives
    The New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station was established at the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts with the funds provided by the Hatch Act of 1887. The College was founded in Hanover, NH in 1866, moved to Durham, NH…
  • University Archives
    The Publications Office produces pamphlets, brochures, maps, posters, and invitations for the University. This series contains a collection of their products.
  • University Archives
    C. Floyd Jackson joined the university in 1908 as an assistant entomologist and before retiring in 1952 served as assistant professor of zoology and entomology professor, professor of zoology, chairman of the department and dean of the College of…
  • University Archives
    The Engineering Experiment Station was formed by the Board of Trustees of the University of New Hampshire in 1929 as a non-teaching division of the College of Technology. It was established to provide professional engineering and scientific assistance…
  • University Archives
    The Agricutural Alumni Association organizes and sponsors the annual Homecoming Barbecue. This series contains the correspondence and records of the treasurer of the Agricultural Alumni Association.
  • University Archives
    The Office of Woodlands and Natural Areas manages more than 4,000 acres of forested property throught New Hampshire. This series contains maps and tables of land use pattern, cover types, plantations established, and projects to be undertaken during the 1930's - 1940's at the University of New…
  • University Archives
    Arthur Stanton Adams was born on July 1, 1896 in Winchester, Massachusetts. He received degrees from Norwich University, The University of California and the Colorado School of Mines. He served as president of UNH from June of 1948 through 1950. The Papers of Arthur Stanton Adams cover the years…
  • University Archives
    The Engineering Experiment Station was formed by the Board of Trustees in 1929, as a non-teaching division of the College of Technology. It wasn't until 1932 that the station began operation. It was established to provide professional engineering and…
  • University Archives
    The UNH Forestry summer camp program was begun in 1924 by Prof. Clark Stevens to include practical experience as a part of forestry education.
  • University Archives
    Robert Flint Chandler was appointed Dean of the College of Agriculture at UNH in 1947. He served as president of UNH from 1950-1954. During Chandler's administration, the drive for the Memorial Union Building was completed. In 1951, Sawyer and…
  • University Archives
    This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings concerning the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. Many articles are also about agricultural issues in general.
  • University Archives
    Ralph Dorn Hetzel graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1906. He taught English and public speaking at Oregon State College and became a full professor there in 1910. In 1912 he was asked to organize a political science department and in 1913 was made the director of the extension services…